Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: 3 ACL Reconstruction/Revision Issues

macjr23 - Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm a 23 year old male and have had three ACL reconstruction/revision surgeries. A Hamstring graft surgery in 2007, a bone-patella-bone in 2008, and after no progress post-surgery, a cadaver Achilles Tendon "double-bundle" revision in December 2009. I am still having severe pain within the knee, on the exterior of the front to inside (of leg) portion of my knee, my patella bone/tendon, high levels of instability in normal activities (walking, stairs, etc.), consistent popping in my left (injured) knee, left hip, and right (uninjured) knee, as well as pain where there are my two tunnels and incision points on my tibia. Are there any other options, surgically or otherwise, that can get me back to my desired level of physical activity (sports, running, general all-around comfort), or have I essentially used up all options and cannot hope to regain my previous high level of physical activities?

Thank you in advance.
Matt
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 am

User avatar Matt,
Thanks for writing in.
One of the main questions I like to have answered before an aggressive rehab program is What is the status of the repair? Is there full healing?
Also, Is the knee structurally intact?

How much can we expect with both what has been repaired, the quality of repair and any residual deficits?

These are all questions for the orthopedic surgeon.

From a rehab standpoint, we start looking at range of motion, strength, pain levels, swelling and functional status.
Also, we look at response to treatment including response to exercise.

In essence, find a good sports PT and consult with the ortho doc to get both long term and short term expectations and goals.

|