Question: Boney bulge on top left side of foot around cuboid bone

kirlog - Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 am

About a month and a half ago I sprained my left ankle and since then there has been a bulge under the skin located on the top left side of my left foot, aproximately where the cuboid bone is located [at least according to the diagrams I looked up]. All swelling is completely gone so at first I thought it may have been a small snapped tendon that coiled up, but based on the location of tendons in the area it appears that if this were the case I would not be able to move my toes, which I can do easily and without pain. Walking only causes mild pain, but there is a constant ache and running is out of the question. I don't have health insurance so I'm trying to avoid having to see a doctor at all costs- thus this post- but I'm getting concerned that I may have to.

Is this the sort of injury that just needs more time to heal? Is it likely to get progressively worse if left untreated? I know that many cartilidge and tendon surgeries are very intrusive, so would it even be advisable to seek treatment for it? And just because it's nagging the back of my mind: is that really a bone popping out? Or are there possibly ligaments or tendons in the area I overlooked?

Thank you too all who took the time to read this.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:08 am

There is a small pocket on the lateral foot that usually fills with fluid post ankle sprain. In general, swelling is often the last physical finding to vanish after an acute lower limb injury. So this may be a pocket of swelling.

If you are particularly concerned about the bone, have a plain radiograph of the ankle.

Otherwise, do rehab exercises over the next 2-3 weeks as well as compression with an ACE wrap. Some athletic trainers use a horse shoe foam padding under the ACE wrap to specifically compress the area around the lateral malleoli and this area of pocket swelling.

Also remember to stretch the achilles tendon which usually tightens following a lateral ankle sprain.

|