News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Open Lateral Tibial Plateua Fracture

taz0814 - Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Nearyl 1 month ago I had this fracture to my tibia while playing softball. I have been told there is damage (which I can feel) to the ligaments in my knee as a result of this injury. I had the surgery to install 2 screws into the bone three days after the injury but have yet even had orders to have an MRI done to see the extent of damage to ligaments. From researching this type of fracture, I know percentages say that more surgical repair is likely for ligaments. Should I have concern about the timing, or lack-there-of for this area. My questions arose when my friend's doctor asked what has happened and looked surprises, almost astonished, that I had not had more procedures done to this point. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am

User avatar Hello,
In general, it is better to have the ACL (if damaged) repaired early rather than late due to the increased risk of cartilage damage from an shifting or variably unstable knee. However, there are some orthopedic doctors who advise against repairing ACL tear if the leg strength especially the hamstrings are sufficient to stabilize the knee.

One of the potential problems with having hardware in the knee and doing an MRI is artifacts may blur the picture of a damaged internal ligament. However, since the surgeon was able to look at the internal ligaments and cartilage during the open fixation, he ought to have a decent look or assessment of the ACL, PCL and menisci.

So check back with your orthopedic doctor and have a discussion about the integrity of the knee ligaments and cartilage to see if there is more surgical repair needed.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here