Question: Clavical Fracture- Large Healing Bump

roselle1 - Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Two weeks ago I fractured my clavicle. I went to the ER and was told I would likely need surgery based on my X-Rays. The following morning I went to the bone trauma surgeon, and he looked at my X-Rays and said that the other doctor (not a specialist) was wrong and this would heal by itself. He also said that the bump, caused by the relatively profound overlapping of my clavicle, will heal on top of itself.

Although I feel much better and have not needed to use a sling at all in almost a week, the bump appears larger than it had before. Does this have to do with the healing process? The range of motion in my arm improves everyday and there hasn't been a feeling of much bone movement in almost a week. Since I do not have health insurance (and only for the month this happened), surgery will be a nightmare and put me in a suddenly awful financial situation. Is it normal that the bump may be a little larger?

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#in ... 7c7ff799f4
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 am

The vast majority of clavicle fractures heal without surgery.
The bump can increase slightly in size as the bone heals - the callous formation increases the diameter slightly.
Since your shoulder range of motion is improving and assuming pain levels are manageable then the clavicle ought to be healing nicely.
If there are concerns or potential issues with healing, then the best thing to do is have another x-ray taken.
But in general, the need for surgery with a clavicle fracture is low.

|