News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Post Ankle Surgery Problems

illinoisman - Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 pm

I had surgery on my broken ankle last October and to hold the bone in place they put in screws and a plate. I can feel the plate and screws from the outside of my skin and recently the tip of the plate cut through my skin and it has been hurting. I wanted to ask you if this is normal?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 am

User avatar Hello,
The ankle area has little fat and subcutaneous (below the skin) tissue...just bone, tendons and skin - basically.

So with hardware (plate and screws), it is normal to "feel" these through the skin. However if the hardware pokes through the skin, then you must see the orthopedist.

A break in the skin (from any source), is an opportunity for infection so needs attention. In your case the hardware was placed in a fashion that would not cut the skin from the inside out. So this is not normal.

See your orthopedist.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here