Question: Post Ankle Surgery Problems

illinoisman - Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 pm

I had surgery on my broken ankle last October and to hold the bone in place they put in screws and a plate. I can feel the plate and screws from the outside of my skin and recently the tip of the plate cut through my skin and it has been hurting. I wanted to ask you if this is normal?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 am

The ankle area has little fat and subcutaneous (below the skin) tissue...just bone, tendons and skin - basically.

So with hardware (plate and screws), it is normal to "feel" these through the skin. However if the hardware pokes through the skin, then you must see the orthopedist.

A break in the skin (from any source), is an opportunity for infection so needs attention. In your case the hardware was placed in a fashion that would not cut the skin from the inside out. So this is not normal.

See your orthopedist.

|