News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: T-11 Fracture I need some information?

YouCanDoIt10 - Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 pm

A few days ago my wife was hit by a car as she walking through a parking garage and as a result of the accident was diagnosed with a mild to moderate fracture of T-11. She has been told that she will be fine after approximately 6 weeks but everything I have been reading suggest that it could be closer to 12 weeks or longer.

Since the injury she is complaining that her right side is very painful to touch and she gets and excruciating pain if she accidently bumps it which radiates the pain everywhere on her side. She keeps telling me that it feels like something is poking her in her side under her skin.

She is 44 years old and in pretty good overall health. Can anyone tell me how long she is looking at having to wear the brace, how long it takes for that type of fracture to heal, and have any ideas what the pain in her side may be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am just trying to make her as comfortable as possible.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:26 am

User avatar Hello,
Fractures generally take 6 weeks to heal...healing time depends on the location and the characteristics of the fracture.
For a T11 fracture which I assume is not displaced nor causing neurological compromise (i.e. hitting a nerve or spinal cord), at least 6 weeks seems a reasonable time frame for healing.

The ribs will need to be assessed too with x-rays for fracture or dislocation. Frequently the intermuscular area of the ribs get strain or pulled during mid back trauma. Treatment is conservative with analgesics and hot / cold packs.

It is also important for her to practice deep breathing exercises as pain can cause decreased lung capacity.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here