News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Sinus Tarsi syndrome? (severe ankle pain after 3 years

Mr.Adam - Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Hello. For the last three years I have had unbearable pain in my left ankle (I am 17 now and the pain began when I was 14) It was a gradual pain that built up to unbearable pain where I could not walk or stand on my foot.
After two years I finally had an operation to remove some extra bone identified in a CT scan. Unfortunately this did not help the problem and if anything has made the problem worse (my foot seems to click more which seems to directly affect the stability of it).

Further scans including xrays, mri and bone scans have identified the injury is in the subtalar joint and as I result my subtalar joint is very stiff and barely moves (my right foot moves fine). The doctor has told me that the only operation available is a subtalar fusion surgery that has a lot of future risks and so has reccommended I:
1) Have steroid injections (I have already had one that allows me to stand on the spot and reduces swelling but does not remove the pain I am feeling) I should not have more then 3.
2) Have insoles put into my shoes to stop movement in my heel
3) Lose weight (I weigh 140kg)
until I cannot take it any longer and need surgery despite it's future risks.
4) Take pain killers (They do not help me at all despite being relatively strong)
I am already at this point as I haven't been able to walk for three years and I'm not sure what to do next. I can't continue like this and I was wondering if it possible there has been a misdiagnosis? Any advice would be appreciated.

After doing some internet research it seems the problem the doctor is describing is referred to as sinus tarsi syndrome
P.S. I've found that after the first surgery my ankle seems to click a lot more. My doctor has explained that it is probably due to scar tissue, but I feel as if the clicking directly affects my ankle stability
Thanks in advance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
At this point besides surgery, the treatment is conservative i.e. rehabilitate the ankle (Physical Therapy), control the pain and consider proper bracing including orthotics.
This triad should provide at least 25% improvement in pain and function.

If no improvement after 3-6 months, you may need to consider surgical fusion.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here