Question: are my ribs broken

JEdJO - Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:55 pm

I was screwing around with a friend of mine and picked him up. I tripped and he fell on my chest. It knocked the wind out of me and was pretty intense pain. he weighs around 150 lbs. I weigh 160. he said he heard a pop when we hit. All his weight was on my chest. At first I thought I threw my back out. but now it feels like it is next to my spine. I can feel something shift inside when I go to reach for something. It makes me feel like I have to cough. The pain isn't very great at the moment, but I sneezed earlier and it felt like someone stabbed me in the back. I am only taking aleve for pain. And only one 220 mg tab every ten hours. This has been enough to control it. Is it possible to dislocate a rib? Should I go to the ER or something and have x rays? I don't have health insurance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 am

It appears from your account that you did receive a fairly severe anteroposterior compression injury to your chest. In such injuries, there is a likelihood of fracture of the ribs. Ribs tend to fracture just in front of their angles (which is a weak spot) which are located at the back of the chest.
At times, multiple ribs may fracture at the same time. Rib fractures may be displaced, or undisplaced. They can be associated with serious internal injuries as well (thoracic or abdominal).

An uncomplicated rib fracture presents with severe pain, which is aggravated on movement, coughing or sneezing. As long as there are no internal injuries, fractures or ribs generally heal spontaneously in a few weeks.

You must show to your family doctor at the very least, to exclude any internal injuries.

|