Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: bulging disc L4-L5

cinanim - Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I have a broad based bulge eccentric towards the left causing moderately severe effacement of the ventral surface of the thecal sac, mild posterior displacement of the left L5 nerve root sleeve.
I have discomfort and pain using my left left leg at All. I used to work out almost every day, but have given it all up because of the pain and discomfort. I can handle the pain, but what is horrible if I do too much is a symptom I call "restless spine syndrome", I just want to wiggle and squirm and stretch, all of which I can not do with out causing more discomfort.
I will be having surgery with in 4 months time, but until then I'm wondering if over doing things can effect the already bulging effected disc in a negative way beyond pain.
Also, has anyone ever had the wiggling, itchy sensation up and down their spine and what can be done about that...so far, xanax at night to help me sleep is it and doing absolutely nothing during the day, can help. Do you think the "restless spine syndrome" is caused from the bulging disc and nerve irritation?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Although not classically associated with the signs and symptoms of herniated discs or protrusion of vertebral discs, the restless sensation may be associated.

Also screen (with blood work) for anemia (folate deficiency or iron and ferritin deficiency), diabetes and hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) as these can cause restless sensations.

Finally, stay as active as possible and drink plenty of water.

|