Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back/Testicle pain

cma1006 - Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:27 pm

have had lower back, abdominal and left testicle pain for several months..been told had epidymitis (spelling?) put on 3 different antibiotics, went to urologist..he said not epidymitis and did ultrasound to rule out Testicular Cancer...came back normal, as did urine test.

he said could be associated with a back injury ; certain nerves effect the back causing you to feel pain in other areas (kind of like the siatic (spelling?) nerve.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I am so frustrated and sick of being in pain all the time. As soon as I start feeling "ok" to do things as soon as I do..WOW the pain is sometimes unbareable...especially in the testicle area...gets very swollen and uncomfortable (an almost heavy feeling).

HELP!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:04 am

User avatar Hi cma1006,
Symptoms of sciatic nerve pain/irritation generally cause pains which shoot down the buttocks down the leg, burning or tingling sensations in the legs, and cramps. Epididymytis, prostatitis, or any inflammation of the male genital tract, may cause a number of symptoms, back pain, testicular pain, difficulty voiding, just to name a few. I would suggest another evaluation, not to mention some diagnostic studies, to rule out a chronic infection or any other anomaly. If it's actually related to a back injury this can be identified by, for example, by a MRI. Regardless of the problem, you need re-evaluated.
 optiandsabi - Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:59 pm

Last November I had the same problems and the reason I am here now is because it is happening again.

It started with lower back pain, which I thought was from sleeping wrong. The next day it increased and then I started having pain in my left testical.

The day after thanksgiving I had to go to the emergency room. After a shot of morphine and a shot of valium, I was still in pain. They first said it might be a hernia and they ordered an ultrasound of my testicals. Nothing showed up.

They recommened I get an MRI. I did and nothing showed up that would cause the pain.

I went to the doctor who said it might be epidymitis. He put me some some meds, but it continued.

Next test, I had a spiral CT, which came back as normal.
Next, they said it might be a kidney stone. I did the dye test and had x-rays. Came back normal.

Finally I was sent to a neurosurgeon and he said he could not find anything wrong with me in all the tests that I had done. He was clueless and sent me to theraphy. Before I went, I visited my chiropractor. The next day after the adjustment, I was 50% better and the next day I was back to 90% of my normal health. I explained this to the therapist and he said he was probbaly my sciatic nerve.
I only had a little soreness if I didn't exercise of stretch.

Well, a year to date, I am suffering again. I have very little testicle pain in the same testical, but my back is killing me. I am seeing the chiro 2 times a week, but still hurting. So here I am trying to find out something else. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss further.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 am

User avatar Hi optiandsabi,
A year ago, since your symptoms improved at that time, after visiting your chiropractor, it seems as though he/she identified that particular problem. However, just because you had a normal evaluation a year ago doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't currently a different or underlying problem. I would suggest notifying your physician for a repeat evaluation.
 AZQIII - Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:59 am

cma1006 -

I was on-line looking for info about similar symptoms with me - trying to find out what is going on. Question - Where, precisely, is your lower back pain? Mine is down low - on the lower lumbar region, but is NOT centrally located. Its starting point is actually just to the left of my spine, 1 - 1.5 inches or so. The pain starts there and shoots directly to my left testicle as well. Other ways the pain manifests its self is that it radiates out, flat, across the groin region. It feels somewhat similar to having my testicles lightly compressed; like my shorts are too tight and riding up. Does this fit your scenario as well? You can contact me here or at - AZQIII@HOTMAIL.COM. My initial diagnosis (after x-rays & MRIs showed no problem with the physical structure) was a 'muscle spasm'. Acupuncture helped immensely I must say, but it has recently returned. I suspect there is a nerve in there that is the culprit. Hey, I'm open for any suggestions. Thanks everyone!
 parli2 - Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:10 am

I have had the exact same issue for about 2 months. After going to a chriopractor and also a neurologist for a few weeks with no results, I opted to have spinal decompression done (also at a chriopractor). This procedure is estimated to take about 20 times for completion; however after the first time, the pain in my testacle was reduced from a painful squeeze, to a uncomfortable pull. Things have only gotten better. 5 visits done, and the pain is now localized in my lower center back (a good thing). What I appreciated about this chiropractor is that he told me after this process, if results were not were I wanted them to be, he would find me a pain management doctor and a surgical consult, odd from a chiropractor but reassuring.

Good luck to each of you, I know how miserable you are.
 ConfusedPatient22 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:19 am

I've had sciatica along with testicular and back pain for 5 years. It's primarily aggravated by sitting. I also have testicular muscle spasms and spasms and pain along the course of the sciatic nerve. I've run the absolute gamut of tests with no physiological abnormalities found. Doctors can only do so much so my plan now is to start gentle exercising routine and just pray for mercy. It definitely sucks though and you have my condolences.
 tooyoung4pain - Wed May 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Going through the same ordeal. Roughly 2 yrs ago i had a several lower lumbar spasm attack that kept me in bed for 5weeks, then walking with a cane for 2 more weeks. Pain has not gone away since. Symptoms were localized lower back, hip, testicular and left leg pains. First mri's results came back normal, however, just recently another MRI was conducted (18mths later) my L5/S1 had a moderate central and left paramedian focal disc extrusion. It measured 25mm transverse x 8mm AP x 10mm crainicaudad. It's encroaching upon displacing the left S1 nerve root posterior and laterally to the left. This was just given to me last week and I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what it means!! I was told spinal decompression was not an option - surgery was my only fix. Is that true?? and why? Can someone tell me what the MRI results show?

Keep in mind my pains existing many years before the findings, so I suggest to keep testing until they find something.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Basically, you have a bulging disc hitting a nerve.

Unless you are having major symptoms (leg numbness, tingling, weakness, and pain), you may consider trying conservative treatment like physical therapy first.

If you have inability to pee, numbness in pelvic area ("saddle paresthesia") and unilateral leg weakness as a result of the pinched nerve then surgery is the first option.

Sometimes an EMG or Nerve conduction velocity test is done to judge the extent of nerve involvement.

Incidentally, spinal decompression is spinal surgery.

awe4tvy7gw - Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:18 pm

After 2 years with the same pain, "travelling" one, that was thought by doctors to be some neuropathy, they said that my only option was surgery, even though the MRI didn't show anything out of extraordinary.
I went to a n acunpunturist, didn't help much, for 5 months, I did more than 1 year of physiotherapy, and the pain would relieve and come back again.
Sciatica, lower back, testicular swelling, middle back pain, muscle spasm. Had it all, and sometimes would not even be able to get out of bed.
After searching the internet about 'cures', I found out about TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome). Then read about Mind Body Syndrome. After reading Sarno's book, I was cured... simple as that, just a couple of weeks 'reprogramming' my consciouness. I couldn't believe it was so simple, and Sarno does say so in his book.
TMS will act exact like that, everything, all exams and testings will come 'clear', but will still have the pain. After ruling out the REASON that is causing the pain, and realizing that the pain is, afterall, a mild oxygen deprivation to the muscle caused by the brain, you will understand that is more a social thing than a physical thing.
Just read the success histories at TMS Help forum, you will be amazed. People that have been 13 years in pain, cured, and as fast as 2~3 weeks
 Lionsigns62 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:47 am

I have similar pain. However I also have 2 small nodules in my lower back close to my spine and just above my hips. Pain seems to be generated when I press on them. The nodules move around a little bit and I am wondering what they could possibly be and whether or not they are pressing on a nerve. I have been to a doctor and he indicated that the were generated by my back pain. He took Xrays but never did an MRI. Any idea wht these nodules might be ? One is the size of a pea and the other relatively close to the first is a little larger.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:36 pm

The bumps on the back are likely lipomas or sebaceous cysts. They should not be deep enough to hit a nerve from the lumbar area.

If in doubt about the depth of the "lumps" or their impact on the spine, then MRI is the test of choice.

HappyGuy1985 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:59 pm

I was hoping you could help. I've had lower back pain for 15 months. The back pain started after I had a cold. The main area of pain is the lower back, buttocks, testicles and top of legs.
I visited the doctor who put me on painkillers to see if the problems went away. After 2 weeks and the back pain was still present the doctor tried other medicines and sent me for an x-ray and ultrasound of the bladder/kidneys. results came back okay.
I've had an MRI scan which shows that I have bulges in my lower back. I was put on Tramadol and sent for hydro and physiotherapy. Nothing helped.
I was sent to a back specialist who checked me out and was sent to a pain specialist. Got no help there!
I've visted the doctor every 3 weeks in the past 15 months. I've had problems urinating and visited a urologist for a cystocopy. This was fine. I've had my prostate checked, slightly swollen but nothing to worry about apparently! I had an ultrasound on my testicles which found that I had too much calcium?

Anyway afterall this I'm still in alot of pain. I've been taken off the tramadol and I'm on morphine patches. They don't help!! The pain I get in both testicles (more pain in right usually) is unbearable! I actually have to grit my teeth and usually end up screaming!! I've not had sex since the back pain started because it is too painful and the pain in the testicles can increase when I have an erection! I'm finding it really difficult to motivate myself now. I was off sick from work for seven months and now work a quarter of my hours each week to try and stay active. I'm 24 years old and have had no other medical problems previously. I have no social life anymore and find that on most days I can hardly move!!

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.
 TheHag - Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:08 am

I've had back pain for 4 years now, am almost 30 and have had surgery to L5S1. This has been a long journey but with two years of physio, exercise and medication it's getting "better". The key for me is getting over the hump and exercise with lots of walking, stay mobile or you'll seize up. If I take more than a couple days off not walking my pain increases significantly.
Back in the summer I tweaked my back again and went to the emerg because pain was on the right side (lower lumbar shooting down to foot). This was cause for concern as my pain has always been on the left 99% of the time. As this pain was new, it felt extra sore and I was getting a tingly, shooting down my right butt cheek, wrapping under the right leg and up into the groin where my testicle felt extra sensitive. After a month, this tingling went away but now has come back in the last week. I got it checked out by my doctor, checking for lumps as well and found one spot where it was particularly sore, but was soft tissue. Anyway, she said that there is a causal link between back pain and pain in the groin but this is very painful...like getting kicked in that area but 15 minutes after the fact, nauseous, throbbing pain. I'm going in for an ultrasound to check everything out just to be sure.
 RichieRich51 - Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:52 pm

I hurt my back years ago when lifting a heavy machine, I felt a warm sensation in my lower back. It didn't hurt till the next day. 10 years later I was getting pain from orgasms burning and it hurt my pelvic floor muscles. The doctor found I had prostate cancer although the symtoms had nothing to do with that. After my surgery for removal of prostate the problems came back. Then the pelvic floor issue went away and I started having pain in left testicle and left leg on front side with the back pains. I've had ct scans of pelvic area twice. I've had 3 colonoscopies. Nothing found. Now even my lower abdomen hurts. It seems sexual activity or using my back the wrong way (lifting) starts all of this. I have not tried a chiro or acupunture.

|