News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Loss of curve in neck and tmj

Neckissues - Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Hello

Approx. 3-4 years ago, I visited a chiropractor who upon examining me and taking an x-ray, told me that I had an 87% loss of curve in my neck (I always knew I did, I just didn't know how bad). Over the years, my loss of curve seems to be getting worse and I have developed TMJ and an under bite, as well as my upper and lower jaw being unaligned.

I don't remember having tmj or an under bite until my neck started to lose its curve. Can tmj and an under bite be caused by a cervical loss of curve?

Also, I can't afford to see a chiropractor for the extent of time that it takes to correct the loss of curve. It is simply too expensive for me and I don't have insurance. I have been looking at some different cervical traction devices. Will any of these really work in returning the normal curve to my neck? I did buy a posture pump at one point but it was much too uncomfortable for me to lay on the ground for 30 minutes while using the thing. Can someone please recommend something that is known to work and isn't as uncomfortable as the posture pump?

Thanks for reading my long post, I really appreciate any help I can get.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:24 am

User avatar Hello,
It is important to look at the cause for the loss of curvature in the cervical spine: e.g. muscle spasms, chronic poor posture, degenerative changes in the vertebrae itself.

In any case, the basic day to day treatment will be maintaining or restoring normal functional movements in the neck and correcting abnormal posture especially in chronic or static positions.

So, performing active range of motion exercises and stretching tight muscles and strengthening weak muscles around the neck area are important. Posturally, to restore lordosis (the normal curve of the cervical spine), simply using a towel roll inside a pillow case should help - may start with a few minutes supine then progress the time to wear sleeping with the pillow roll is comfortable.

For more specific assessment and instruction see a physical therapist - even for 1-2 visits to teach a home program.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here