Question: Boxer's fracture malrotation correction?

dharmadude72 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 am

I had a boxer's fracture and wore a cast for a month. Now my pinky finger is angulated slightly and goes inward overlapping the ring finger a little bit on the side (half the tip of the pinky is covered by the ring finger when making a fist). I have been told by an Orthopedic that a slight malrotation of only the pinky finger is acceptable and rarely performed surgery on. My question is, will this eventually correct itself a little over time and do I need to just get used to it? My pinky finger functions fine it just goes inward a bit and the tip of it rubs against my ring finger when I close my hand. But I'm thinking that this continual rubbing will eventually force the pinky finger to realign and go a little straighter... Thanks so much!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 am

There most likely be a slight malrotation of the pinky finger but should not interfere with function.
Since the 5th finger is moving toward the 4th digit rather than away from it, function will not be affected...use of the fifth finger always involves adduction and opposition (movements toward the thumb) versus away from the thumb (abduction) - unless you use your pinky finger to point at someone or something.

|