Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Severe Neck and Bottom of skull Pain

hwess77 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 pm

I was in a high impact car accident in 2004. I was stopped on the freeway in morning rush hour traffic when a person rear-ended me. They believe he was traveling at 55 mph at the time of impact. I have had MRI's, X-Rays, Chiropractic care, Nerve conduction tests, trigger point injections, physical therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture and nothing has helped the pain in my neck or base of the skull where it connects to my neck and nothing shows up on the tests either. I now have severe chronic pain on both sides of my neck, across the base of my skull, along my shoulders and mid back. I also suffer from migraines 2-3 times a week. I have three hard bumps on the back of my neck in different areas. I am trying to determine what the cause of the bumps are and what might be able to be done about them. The bumps are hard and not sensitive to touch or pressure. When my neck pain gets worse it usually triggers a migraine and the bumps become larger at times but also smaller on days when the pain is decreased. One bump is located on the left side of my neck right on at the hairline and is about the size of a dime and sphere shaped, one is located under the bottom of my skull on the right side of my neck and is about the same size and shape. The last one is located about three figures behind my ear directly bellow the skull line it is about twice the size of the other two but about the same shape. They are all very hard and when I apply a lot of pressure to them, it helps to relieve some of the pain. I also become nauseous when the pain is worse. I have been told all my muscles in the upper part of my body are extremely tight. I have been trying to figure out what might be the cause and if it is related to my pain or migraines. I am in constant pain and have been to over 10 specialists trying to determine what the cause of my pain might be and a solution. So far no one has been able to help decrease the pain. Any ideas would be very helpful or even suggestions on the type of specialist I could consult would be wonderful. I really need some input and advice! Thank you so much for your time!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:05 am

Unfortunately, your case is not an easy one.
The bumps along the bottom of the skull likely are knots within muscular tissue...
Two treatment modalities come to mind:
1. Myofascial release : from a seasoned veteran PT who is a master of the technique.
2. Chiropractic adjustment of the cervical 1 and 2 vertibrae- there is a school of thought and chiropractic practice which only addresses adjusting these two vertebrae and have in some cases produced very good results...but again the treatment must be done by an expert.

|