News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Pain and minor swelling on top of foot

llgo - Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:16 pm

I am trying to figure out what I might have done to my foot. Four days ago I went on a five mile walk/jog after not having exercised regularly for a few months. I had no pain or difficulty at the time of the exercise. The next day, in the evening, my foot started to throb and ache, with minor swelling. I am now in constant pain (5 out of 10). I am confused since there was no problem during or immediately after the exercise, but started approximately 34 hours later. I can walk but it hurts with each step. Any insight?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
You describe a very common scenario for injury (foot, leg, back etc). A person starts a new exercise program and feels great during the exercise and shortly afterward but within 48 hours suffers a musculoskeletal malady ranging from muscle ache to tendonitis to arthritis.
Or a person starts an exercise program and feels great for two weeks then the third or fourth week bam! the injury occurs - patellar tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, shoulder bursitis. Very common.
Depending on where the pain hurts I would suspect the injury you have is tendonitis either in the achilles tendon (heel cord) or plantar fascia (arch of the foot). Treatment is ice and NSAIDs initially then switch to heat after 72 hours.
Gradually return to activity.
If you have plans to run regularly, start with walking 2-3 miles 3-4 x a week for at least the first couple weeks and a stretching / strengthening program. This will set you up with a good base to begin running.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here