News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: broken rib?

dravid - Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:17 pm

Hello everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me. The other day I looked at my abdomen and noticed that my ribcage on the right side of my body doesn't look exactly like my ribcage on the left side. You can only notice it if I suck in my stomach, and then you see that on the left side, the bottom rib sticks out about half an inch on the left portion of my abdomen, where on the right side that portion of the complimentary rib tapers off around my body, and looks normal.

I don't remember ever having any trauma to my ribs, or ever experiencing any pain in that area. I don't know what is going on, and whether or not this is serious, because it has never hurt. When I was little I was always banged up somewhere on my body, but even then I don't remember my ribcage ever hurting. I can recount the reason for every piece of visable scar tissue on my arms and legs - all from falling down playing street hockey and football, but not this. I can really feel that left bottom rib's outgrowth, where the bottom rib on the right side is smooth and tapered to my body.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Jas
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:30 am

User avatar Hi!

I do not think that there is anything serious going on with disproportionate body parts. We all have them somewhere or the other. But if this has affected you in any way like pain or weight loss, or any other physical symptoms, it would be best to give your doctor a visit.

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here