Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Backpain in the morning

ShiftyJoe - Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Every morning I wake up with back pain so intense that I am unable to move for the first 10-15 minutes after I wake up. It started about a month ago and often times wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have tried several different positions, none of which actually help. I have resorted to sleeping on the floor, which has worked for about a week but now that pain is coming back again. The pain is usually gone by mid-afternoon with the help of some naproxen sodium.

I am not too sure if a new mattress or mattress topper would be the cure for this or if there is something more serious going on. Once the pain is gone I am able to resume all manner of activities like playing with my children or sports.

I don't have great insurance so the thought of paying a ton of money for tests makes me deal with the pain though it is very intolerable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am

Start with seeing a family doctor for a basic spine exam which should include range of motion testing, neurological test (sensation, muscle strength,tendon reflexes), posture exam and palpation. Then have a spine x-ray.
Cost is low and should rule out any major pathology.
Treatment will be suggested and usually includes analgesics, muscle relaxers as needed, and therapeutic exercise.

|