Question: Ankle Injury

yam102284 - Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:16 pm

Ok. About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I was at my boyfriends house and I rolled/twisted my ankle playing soccer. I heard a crack when i did it, but didnt think anything of it. It got swollen and for the rest of that day I couldnt really walk on it. The next day it was better, but I was still limping. Now, I can walk on it fine, move it fine, but it still hurts and it is still swollen and bruised. Should I go have it looked at or will it heal over time?? I just think 1 1/2 weeks is a long time.

Thank you.
Amy
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:50 pm

Dear Yam,

it would have been better if you'd gone to the ER , made an X-ray, put it in a cast or a proper bandage for 3 weeks to promote proper healing of your ligaments and muscles surrounding your ankle. It will take longer time for you this way and you'll never know if it was more than a bruise. it shouldn't be a fracture ofcourse or else you couldn't touch the floor from pain.

anyway,if you won't go to check it out...make sure to use local anti-inflammatory...use repeated and alternate warm and cold foments to increase the circulation in the injured area.

|