Question: Broken Tibia question?

ChiefBDT - Sun May 22, 2005 5:40 pm

21 days ago I was out in the desert approximately 3 hours away from the closest hospital. I broke my R Tibia approximately 2 inches below the joint. It broke about 1/2 way through the bone then split vertically up to the top of the bone. I was able to find an old camera tripod in the back of my truck and made a splint out of the tripod legs securing it with duck tape. When I finally got to a hospital, about 4 hours later the Dr; put my leg in a cast from my toes to my rear end. After approximately 5 days I started getting "Charlie Horses" muscle pain in my calf. Being unable to move my knee or my foot this pain continued for about 6 hours until I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the E.R. and they promply cut the cast off. Next day they put a new cast on. After 2 days the same thing happened and after about 8 hours I was in tears, and I DON'T CRY, EVER. at 0300 I was back at the E.R. where they cut the second cast off telling me that the Cast Tech. was putting them on too tight. I have not gone back to the Orthopedic Dr. since. I suspect they will just put another cast on and I'll end up back in the E.R. with that extreem pain. I'm wondering what type of knee brace I should buy to support my leg while it heals? I have been keeping it elevated and have never put any pressure on the leg. That said, I feel I should have something on it as it's not completely healed. Can someone tell me what type of knee brace I should be looking for?
Thanks in advance,
ChiefBDT@earthlink.net
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 25, 2005 6:39 pm

User avatar Hi ChiefBDT,
I can understand your reluctance to have another cast placed but you honestly should at least consider having your leg in a splint for immobilization. Call your physicians office and inquire if a device can be placed instead of the cast itself....... Just so you know you can refuse the cast tech's assistance and request the physicians......
 ChiefBDT - Wed May 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Well, here is what I have done. I ordered a Bledsoe Post Operative Brace. It is full length and keeps my knee / leg from moving. I really don't see much difference between this and a cast. Other than the fact that I can take this off in the event that the "Charlie Horse" pain comes back.

Thanks for the help,
Brad
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 25, 2005 7:36 pm

User avatar Hi ChiefBDT,
Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with your chosen treatment is of no consequence. I am glad however that you have found an immobilization device that fits your needs. I wish you well and hope you heal swiftly!

|