News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: I"m in Tears with Body Pain & numbness

kathymm - Tue May 24, 2005 11:27 am

For the past couple of months I've been waking up in the morning numb. My back, mainly my mid to lower back, back of my legs all the way up to the back of my head will be numb. The numbness wears off after a few hours but I'm tired all day, I get bad headaches and I can't think or see straight most often since this started to occur. Some days are worst than others. I have no medical insurance and no money to see doctor........I'm a starving student and mother off two. Could someone please tell what might be wrong with me? I'm a student with a 3.5+ grade average which is dropping rapidly due to this problem. I'm in tears....Can anyone tell me anything?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:10 pm

User avatar Dear kathymm,
Strain of the back muscles and ligaments can cause similar symptoms. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following improper movement or posture. Muscle spasm alone can cause the back pain which can be an unidentified cause. Spasm of the neck muscle leads to severe headaches.
In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the spasm. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial. If these measures fail to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes that need specific therapy.
If the pain is intense, especially when you lay down, if it causes weakness or numbness of the legs, if it is associated with GI or bladder problems, or there is fever or unexplained weight loss, you also have to consult your physician immediately. Keep on follow up with your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination he can recommend the proper management.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here