Question: Past Broken Ribs/Current Pain

ActressAngela - Fri May 27, 2005 5:20 pm

It is common or normal to have shooting pains and even lingering pains where my two ribs were broken on November 28, 2003. I mean, it's now May 2005 -- and for the past year, oftentimes, I get these really hard pains in the exact spot they were broken; and occasionally I gasp suddenly (with the pain) -- like I did when they were first broken.

Is this what the doctor once told me is "scar tissue" pain?

Thank you,
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:29 pm

Dear ActressAngela,

Your rib pain could be due to:
1-Scar tissue like the doctor said....(muscular pain)
2-Scar tissue in the pleural membrane that covers the lung (very sensitive and rich with nerve supply)...so it can hurt whenever you take a deep breath..(unlikely to be your case)
3-Nerve injury pain...because nerves passing in the ribs cavity from the inside could have been injured (most probably) and it'll take a long time for them to heal.

As long as the pain is in the same area and is not shooting else where unusual than the pain you had after the fracture...then we shouldn't be worried ...it will just take a very long time to heal...

Just make sure that the X-rays shows your ribs have healed more or less in line...and not very much distorted.

|