News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Past Broken Ribs/Current Pain

ActressAngela - Fri May 27, 2005 5:20 pm

It is common or normal to have shooting pains and even lingering pains where my two ribs were broken on November 28, 2003. I mean, it's now May 2005 -- and for the past year, oftentimes, I get these really hard pains in the exact spot they were broken; and occasionally I gasp suddenly (with the pain) -- like I did when they were first broken.

Is this what the doctor once told me is "scar tissue" pain?

Thank you,
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:29 pm

Dear ActressAngela,

Your rib pain could be due to:
1-Scar tissue like the doctor said....(muscular pain)
2-Scar tissue in the pleural membrane that covers the lung (very sensitive and rich with nerve supply)...so it can hurt whenever you take a deep breath..(unlikely to be your case)
3-Nerve injury pain...because nerves passing in the ribs cavity from the inside could have been injured (most probably) and it'll take a long time for them to heal.

As long as the pain is in the same area and is not shooting else where unusual than the pain you had after the fracture...then we shouldn't be worried ...it will just take a very long time to heal...

Just make sure that the X-rays shows your ribs have healed more or less in line...and not very much distorted.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here