Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Who is right about my diagnosis?

anjilzheart - Sun May 29, 2005 6:49 am

Hi! October 2003 I went to a GP because I was extremely tired ALL the time.//The results of the blood tests were that I had rheumatoid arthritis and he immediately put me on Vioxx and gave me shot of methotrexate and told me I would have to come in for these weekly shots for the rest of my life.//Well, needless to say, I got really really REALLY sick from the shot, and thought I was going to die!!!But after about five days, I was better and after one hospital visit to the emergency room, I was instructed by two other doctors that methotrexate should never have been prescribed for me initially and was advised to stop the injections.//I was referred to the best rheumatologist in the area, and had to wait four months to get in to see him. In the meantime Vioxx was working wonderfully, and I was no longer experiencing pain.//Well, when I finally got to see the rheumatologist, he talked to me, talked to me about my weight, and had me perform a few physical floor touching excercises and informed me that I did NOT have RA.//Well, I've mentioned this to my new GP, and he said that I did indeed have some sorth of arthritis in response to my telling him that the Rheumatologist said I did not. So that made a total of three General Practioner's telling me that I had RA based on my raised test that indicates inflammation within the body (I forget what it is called.). Anyway, with the pulling of Vioxx off the market, I was really disappointed, because this had been the first time I had been pain free in a long time. I tried Celebrex, but I didn't think it had as good as effect. Recently about three months ago, I went to my regular doctor to ask if there was something else out there, as even though the Rheumatologist said that I didn't have RA, I was experiencing more and more pain every day.....my feet ached horribly and would swell at times, but were not hot to the touch. After sitting for long perioids of time, I can barely move and walk stifly and painfully for a short while. Mornings, I walk stiffly. I've noticed now that my hands and feet ache and swell at the joints, but the main point of pain for me are my left hip and my right shoulder. They are the worst, but now within the last six months and it appears to be getting worse, I have started having problems lifting the lightest of things, sometimes even forks..without pain in both hands and/or my shoulders. My regular MD gave me three otherr samples of types of meds to try and told me to let him know which one helped the best, Bextra, Celebrex (we already knew that result), some other drug, I tried them all for the designated time period, and let them know that Bextra worked the best for me. They got me a bunch of samples, and the very next day I heard that Bextra was pulled off the market. He had told me that after we tried all these medications that there were others we could try, and I said...like the ones that cost $15,000 per year...And he said yes.....Well lo and behold when I asked for something else along this line since Bextra was no longer available to me, as neither was Vioxx, and the other drugs naproxen sodium, ibuprofen, and the other trial prescrip meds he gave me didn't work, he turned around and just left a message for me to take naproxen sodium, advil, or celebrex...So I got frustrated and reschedueld another appt with the best Rheumatologist that I saw before and I see him next week. //What I am afraid of is that I may get the same answer and the pain is excruciating most of the time after sitting or laying for long perioods of time and I cannot even get up from a sitting position and sometimes have to roll off onto the floor and then painfully and slowly help myself up. I'm getting really frustrated and confused here. Is it still possible that I have RA? I can still do the ra physical test the RA doctor had me do, which was touch the floor with my hands......but the pain and tiredness I feel is sooooooooooooooo much worse than it was a year ago. I don't want to wait around and take one and then the other doctor's word, when I am experiencing this pain that is clearly getting worse and is having a crippling effect on me....It's getting to the point as far as holding things, that my fingers kinda double up and I can't hold things regularly anymore well and I'm always stretching parts of my body as that seems to help the muscles and joints. Oh...and also...right up in my shoulder area in front of my armpits, are bunches of nodules on each side of my chest.....could this be related to my shoulder pain?

Thank you so much for you listening to my ramblings in not a very logical order. I'm starting to get rummy from sooooooooooooo many sleepless nights.

Thank you

anjilzheart
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:15 am

User avatar Have you had a complete exam lately, other than testing for RA? I mean full blood chemistry panel, CBC,thyroid and ANA titer? Chest X-ray?

If not, make an appt. to have this done. Your symptoms sound much like Lupus, but there are other conditions with joint pain and swelling such as yours.
 GODSPRINZES - Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:12 pm

PLEASE HELP ME! I AM 40 YEARS OLD AND ONE DAY AT WORK I BECAME VERY ILL AND WAS RUSHED TO THE HOSPITAL AND ADMITTED, AFTER SEVERAL TEST THEY STATED TO ME I HAD THYROID PROBLEMS, WELL NOW I KNOW WHY I COULD NOT GET RID OF THE WEIGHT. :lol:

AFTER TWO MONTHS LATER I WAS ADMITTED AGAIN TO A DIFFERENT HOSPITAL BECAUSE I HAD A HARD TIME SWALLOWING, I WAS DIZZY, AND MY NECK AND BACK WAS BURNING TINGLING AND NUMBNESS THROUGH OUT MY HANDS AND FEET. FINALLY AFTER ALL TEST WERE DONE I HAVE DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE.

THE PAIN AND BURNING IN MY BACK, NECK AND WEAKNESS IS SO BAD AT TIMES. ONE NURO DOCTOR I WENT TO STATED THAT I WAS NORMAL. HOW CAN I BE NORMAL WITH SO MUCH PAIN. I AM NOW GOING TO SEE A SPINE DOCTOR AND HOPES HE CAN HELP. WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF ALL OF THE PAIN AND BURNING OF MY SPINE AND WEAKNESS OF MY BODY? CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME? THANKS
 jennya4 - Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Look into ankloysing spondylitis. Sounds like it could be the culprit. Look it up on web. Never know but worth a try. Have your hips and your SI joints x rayed or MRI done of them. It is considered a man's disease but if can affect women too. Good Luck

|