News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Chronic Mid-area back/rib pain

Kbomb - Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:53 am

Since late February, early March, I've been having moderate to severe back pain in between my spine and up toward my left scapula. The pain doesn't descend past the 10th or 11th rib, but doesn't go past mid-scapula area. At times, there are specific points that are painful to the touch, other times a slight push on the general area makes for a painful rib crushing-like feeling. During the pain which can be all day, certainly after activities (but not only), and at night, it's tough to breath. Some days there is no pain, others there is a lot.
The pain can subside with various positioning of my left arm, and when I curl my spine. It's probably obvious that I should see a doctor, but what should I be expecting?
Any help would be great.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:57 am

User avatar It sounds muscluloskeletal to me. Have you tried taking advil throughout the day? Mind you, it's not a painkiller like Vicodin, it's an antiinflammatory - they reduce pain over a couple of days.

Yes, you need to see a doctor. First order would be an Xray, bloodwork, a hemoccult, and perhaps a sonogram and/or MRI.

Best not to mess around with chronic pain you do not know the origin of.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here