Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: chronic back and neck pain

dmjp1 - Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:28 am

I have had chronic back and neck pain resulting from a car accident 8 years ago. I currently see a chiropractor once a week, but I do not hold the adjustments for more than two days. I have been to an orthopedist, a neurologist, my regular practioner, and three chiropractors. I have had x-rays, 2 MRIs and an EMG. All came back negative.
The pain is so bad sometimes, that I cannot go to work. I work on a computer all day, which I know is not good for my situation, but I have a good chair and I try to walk around a lot during the day. Also, I usually try to do an aerobics with weights routine three times a week. I am 30 years old and 100 pounds. I eat healthy and take a multivitamin. Is is possible to have weak muscles that cannot be strengthened? I am at my wit's end with this pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:20 am

User avatar Yours is an all to common problem after neck/back strain, long term. It very rarely shows up on testing.

If you have no history of ulcers, take an antiinflammatory as directed daily to keep some of the pain and inflammation down. It does help immensely.

Also, there are some reports that although adjustments give you relief temporarily, they can actually make the problem worse. Try backing off the adjustments for a few weeks. You may find the pain lessens a great deal. Also, weights are not always a good idea, as even correct positioning does put some strain on your neck and back and particularly crunches. Make sure you are not overtraining, wear a supporting belt and if it hurts, stop.

I know you don't want to hear any of this, but you have to change something, obviously what you are doing isn't working, and I have seen this work very well in many cases.

|