Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back Pain and Chiropractic Care

crs1247 - Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am

I am a 21 yom that has been experiencing some lower back pain. The pain when it is at it's worst is aboout a 7 and on a normal day it is about a 2 or 3. I work 12 hour shifts on an ambulance about five days a week. I thought that maybe a chiropractor could posibly help me out with the pain. So I went to a chiropractor and had a consultation and had numerous x-rays taken of my spine. the x-rays showed that I had a slight curve of my spine towards my left side. He noted that no spurs or herniated disks were present. The x-ray also showed that my left leg is about half an inch shorter that the right leg. The x-ray of my neck showed that instead of my neck having a natural curve- my neck was straight. The chiropractor stated that he would like to start a course of treatment that included 5 visits a week for four weeks and then would decide if it was helping my back. So far I have done 3 visits which included neck manipulation, back manipulation, electro therapy of the back with cold treatments. I am just wondering if anyone else has this similar problem, and is the chiropratic therapy gonna really help my spine and pain? Every visit I go to I have to pay a $40 co-pay. So if I have to pay this much money, is the therapy really gonna make a difference?

Michael C. :?:
 drgreghaitz - Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:26 pm

User avatar Sorry to hear about the back problem. As a Doctor of Chiropractic myself, I can reassure you that the chiropractor you are seeing has been straight forward with his treatment recommendations. Although, it is impossible to see disc herniations/bulges from an x-ray alone. An MRI is more sensitive for soft tissue lesions. If you job requires alot of sitting, that may contributing to the cause. Consider using an exercise ball to increase low back endurance and core stability. Hang in there, chiropractic is kinda like physical therapy...it takes a series of sessions and time to get results.

|