Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: CAR ACCEDENT

randy - Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:11 pm

I HAVE HAD 3 SURGERIES ON MY BACK INCLUDING RECOSTRUCTIVE,WITH CAGES,SCREWS PLATES,RODS,ECT.NUMEROUS PROCEDURES INJECTIONS,STYMULATERS,I AM ON A GREAT DEAL OF PAIN MEDICATION AND AM IN STILL A VERY FRAGILE STATE.I HAVE FAILED BACK SYNDROM.WOULD YOU SAY THAT BEING HIT AT A DEAD STOP FROM BEHIND FROM SOMEONE THAT DID NOT EVEN SLOW COULD CAUSE MYSELF MORE PAIN FROM BEING JARED AT SUCH FORCE.I ALSO DID RECEIVE WHIPLASH FROM THIS ACCEDENT.I HAVE BEEN BEING TREATED AT A PAIN CLINIC FOR YEARS FOR MY BACK AND AM IN A FRAGILE STATE.COULD YOU GIVE ME YOUR OPINON ON WHAT YOU THINK.IF IN MY STATE THAT BEING HIT AND JARED SO HARD THAT IT COULD INCREASE THE EFFECTS OF MY BACK INJURIES.THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:30 am

User avatar Randy,
Sorry to hear about your accident. I have a few questions though: when did this accident happen (how long ago)? What were you being treated for at the pain clinic years ago (what was the diagnosis)?
 randy - Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:32 pm

Thank you for your reply DR. Tamer Fouad.The car accident happened on 5/17 /02, I have been being treated at the pain clinic since 1998 shortly after my first two surgeries.At this time I had a laminectomy,and a week later they went back in and had to repair a spinal fluid leak,and had lots of theripy to follow.My pain increased and so did my medications.In 2000 I had the reconstructive surgery that involved cages screws,and other hardware.Pain increased awhile after this surgery,prior to all this I had many injections ,stymulators none of which helped.After going to the pain clinic and all that they have done there diagnosis was failed back syndrom.I am now in the prosess of getting social security after being denied 2 or 3 times I cant remember.My memory also has gotten bad which drives my wife nuts. Anyway,back to the car accedent.My doctor did faucets to see if this would help with the pain ,at least 50%.And it did so she went to the next phase and burned the nerves that led to the pain from the whiplash.And that hurt like you wouldnt believe.My first pain right after the accedent was mostly on my left and that is what I told my doctor,that the pain was on my left.6 months later I was still having pain in my neck,My question Dr. is even though my pain was mostly all on my left could not this type of injury effect the entire neck right and left side .Any help on this would be greatly appreceated Dr. and I thank you for your time .I hope I gave you enough infomation. Thank you .Mr. Randy Ashland
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:03 pm

User avatar Dear Mr. Randy,
The accident that happened may or may not have affected your back depending on the site and force of the collision the way in which you fell to the ground and many other factors. The only to tell this would be through the scans which I am sure you have done. If I understood correctly the pain clinic is helping with your back pain. Your last question regarding whether this type of accident should cause the pain to be on the whole neck rather than mainly on the left depends again on the which side was affected more. Which nerves were traumatized during the accident. There are nerves coming out of the neck on either side, generally a whiplash would tend to affect one side more than the other as far as I can tell.
If I have failed to understand your question properly please correct me.

Regards.

|