News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: DDD, DJD...Oh My!!

4PtSake - Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:16 am

This may be an unanswerable question...at least in layman's terms that I can understand...but I'm hoping someone can tell me how a simple fall can cause so many problems in one body.
About 6 months ago I fell on a wet cement floor and have had a host of problems ever since. Through MRI's, Xrays, etc. I found out I have cervical DDD and stenosis, hip and L4-5 DJD and facet degeneration, and have had problems with a ganglion cyst (wrist), vertigo, SI joint and sacrum problems, etc.. My neck has no natural curve left, has almost started to curve backwards, and I have a spondolitic disc. Some of the problems are most likely because of the fall, like the SI joint and sacrum problems, but many of the issues, like the DDD, have obviously been around a while...how is it that I had no idea they were there until after I fell?
The orthopedist told me the fall probably made the issues I already had symptomatic (i.e. the arthritis in my hip, lower back, and neck) but I could never get him to talk to me long enough to find out how. Is it that the fall activated some kind of chemicals in my body that aggrivated the arthritic areas or something else?
I'm also interested in suggestions on how to minimize the discomfort and progression of as many of the issues as possible. I do home exercises that the physical therapist gave me, and they help some, but are there dietary changes, vitamins, or other things I can do to help so I can minimize taking medications? I have a great deal of trouble with side effects.
Any suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated as I find I can definately identify with the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz lately...I feel, most days, like a house fell on me.
Take care and thanks!
Aimee
 sissy - Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:29 pm

I know of instances of sympathetic pain. Pain is explianed as something indicating problems. When a pain starts, it can magnify.
I cannot explain in detail about this, but there are great websites to go to to read. Do a search in the medical search engines for the "LIMBIC SYSTEM". This is the part of the brain that deals with pain and rewards. When you search, look at the sites and find one that will explain to you in language you can understand. There is also a GATE THEORY of pain. Search this one also and read. You will learn how pain works.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here