Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: left leg numbness

cindylu36 - Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:42 pm

For several years, I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in my left leg. I have had a mri and a ct scan both run and it shows a slightly bulged disc but not enough to cause the pain i am having. Also my symptons do not match with someone that has back trouble or at least thats what the doctor and physical theripist told me. My pain hits all of a sudden just when i'm walking and there will be a shooting pain go down from my lower back straight to my left hip then my leg will go numb or start tingling. I have seen several different doctors and had physical therapy right before christmas but nothing seems to help. the thing is too, i can go for months without anything pain or symptoms and just be walking one day and it'll hit. when it starts its usually lasts off and on for a weeks then it'll go away again.
I would really appreciate and advice from anyone on this. i'm to the point i don't know what doctor to go to or what to do.
thanks for listening.
 4PtSake - Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:36 pm

I had similar symptoms for months after a fall and my physical therapist finally figured out it was SI joint disfunction. They did an MRI when I had trouble with lower back and hip pain as well as numbness/pins and needles in my right leg and sometimes in my feet after sitting...along with a few other symptoms...all they found was some minor bulging and minimal arthritis and facet joint degeneration. As you said, not enough to explain the symptoms. From my understanding, especially if they are out of "whack" over a long period, your SI joints can cause all kinds of problems/pain including symptoms that mimic sciatica and lower spine problems. If you look up SI joint dysfunction in a google search or on Medline plus, Mayo clinic, or e-madicine I'll bet you could find information enough to see if you think it may be what's going on. My PT was able to change my exercise routine from a lower back routine to one that worked on the muscles that were messed up because of my SI joint issues and it worked wonders. I still have bad days and if I don't do my exercises I really regret it but the exercises really do help. Hope this helps give you some information that might help and good luck in getting some lasting relief.
 cindylu36 - Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:53 pm

thanks for replying. I'll just into that.

|