News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: hip pain associated with replacement

sjperky - Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:20 pm

several years ago my grandmother had hip replacement due to severe arthritis. Years later, as of today, she is in terrible pain and can hardly get function. She has seen her doctor and he says everything is fine with the replacement however my concern is managing her pain. She doesn't like to take medication but isn't there something out there she can take when the pain is unbearable. She has done therapy and has taken all the anti inflammatory meds available and nothing has helped. What do you suggest? We are all trying so hard to help her and it seems as though we are watching her condition worsen. She is very independent and really at this point I feel she just needs to focus on managing the pain because as we all know there is no cure for arthritis. She was told that arthritis sometimes gets in the muscle and when this happens hip replacement doesn't always rid you of pain... is this true? please help any advice would be much appreciated. thank you
sjperky
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:14 am

User avatar Hi sjperky,
Has your grandmother been essentially pain free until recently? During her evaluation was there any diagnostics xrays etc. done? Was her evaluation done by her orthopedic physician? Although arthritis does cause significant pain, if she has essentially been pain free until recently I would be inclined to consider a malfunction of the hip replacement or surrounding area and would seek a re-evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here