Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Dizziness and DDD...

4PtSake - Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:36 am

Hello
:? If anyone can answer this question I would be ever so grateful.
After a fall several months ago I found out through Xrays initially and then an MRI that I have "...fairly advanced cervical sponylosis with degenerative disc disease and stenosis at C5-6" according to the orthapedist I was seeing. I was told by the PA who did the Xrays that my neck has no natural curve left and is starting to curve backwards. It was obvious, even to me, that the problem had been there for a long time but I don't understand how I could have been more-or-less unaware of it prior to the fall. If anyone could explain how the fall could have made the problems symptomatic all of the sudden that would help too but my main question is this...Could one (or any combination) of the affore mentioned "issues" with my neck be causing dizziness (and sometimes nausea) and is it something I should worry about? I have occassional tingling in my upper arms and sometimes my pinky and ring fingers (mostly on the right) will get pins-and-needles or go numb when I overdo certain movements...the doctor said those symptoms are most likely connected but not a major concern unless they become more persistant...does the dizziness fit into that catagory as well? Any information, comments, ot insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for offering this opportunity/forum!
 4PtSake - Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:19 am

P.S. I've also had some trouble with swallowing...like someone is pressing on my throat an inch or so above my collar bone.
 magic - Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:37 pm

You know I have just joined this site and no one answers I seen this one and thought I would respong I too had a hit to myhead and been having the same dizzy feeling and numbness and pain Let me know how your doing
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:04 am

Cervical spine injuries including herniation and bone spurs, nerve compression, often cause numbness, tingling, weakness, of arms and hands As for the dizziness and accompanying nausea, dizziness in itself, will cause episodes of nausea and sometimes vomiting. Cervical Vertigo generally results from damage to the cervical nerves and may be associated with, for example,blunt head injuries, whiplash, cervical spondylosis, etc. A MRI is a useful diagnostic tool in identifying disorders involving nerves etc.
 4PtSake - Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:22 am

Hi Thersa and Magic!
Thank you, Theresa, for the information and response.
I've actually been doing somewhat better since that post, Magic, and I'm sorry no one has responded to your questions...I hope everything is going OK for you.
I still have occassional occipital headaches, tingling, and dizziness but I was sent for physical therapy to work on the muscles and given a home exercise program and an occiput cushion to use to keep them loosened up. If I do too much lifting or anything that gives my neck too much of a workout it can greatly aggrivate things but I'm slowly learning what NOT to do and that helps too. They did do an MRI and said I had advanced DDD but I was not told that I had any nerve damage.
Is it possible, Theresa, that occassional swelling due to irritation in the cervical spine could cause the symptoms on an occassional basis rather than it being due to damage?
One other question I do have, Theresa, is...my neck sometimes feels like it sticks and then lets loose with a pop (sometimes painful) when I turn my head or look up...it usually happens when my neck symptoms have been aggrivated. Is it likely that this problem is bone spurs or could this also be the result of the loss of disc space (or the spondylosis) and my vertabra grinding on each other?
Thanks again, Theresa...sometimes a little info can put a lot of things in much better perspective. I truly appreciate having this forum available to ask questions and you taking the time to answer them. Please take care :o)

|