News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Why would he have a fever 9 days after surgery?

seamoon - Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:52 pm

My grandson had surgery forslipped capitol femoral epiphysis 9 days ago. Prior to surgery he was running a temp of around 101. Seven days after the surgery his temp spiked again and would fluctuate between 99 and 103. He had blood tests and hiswhite count was off. His xray looked ok. What could be causing the fevers; the only other symptom with the fever is a headache.

Would appreciate help

Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:45 am

User avatar Hi seamoon,
A fever of this nature would certainly be uncommon. Has septic arthritis been ruled out? Symptoms present with fever, loss of appetite, the joint would be warm and swollen, and motion would cause pain, labwork studies would also indicate abnormalities. I would certainly inquire about this particular condition if it has not been previously mentioned. Regardless of the condition, a fever of this nature should most definitely be reported to the physician and a re-evaluation completed.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 seamoon - Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:14 pm

Thank you Rntdj. appreciate the reply. My grandson went to Boston Childrens Hospital today for a re-eval.

Seamoon :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:14 am

User avatar Hi seamoon,
That's good to hear. My best wishes for him. I hope you would consider posting a follow up to his condition when your time permits doing so.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 seamoon - Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi Rntdj, my grandson did go to Boston Childrens Hospital and was evaluated by 2 pediatric orthopedic surgeons. Both stated that they felt the fever was related to a virus and that it would take 4 or 5 days to clear up. Tomorrow 8/8 I am going with my daughter and grandson to Boston Childrens because he has his regularly scheduled follow-up from the surgery. This will give me the opportunity to ask questions as well. I will keep you informed. Thanks again!

Seamoon

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here