Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Problems with my hip are affecting my knee. no one knows why

Homercles - Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:15 am

A couple years back now I was diagnosed with OCD (osteochondritis Dissecans) in my left ankle see my story http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mada0021. I have had two surgeries on this matter and beleive I am finally getting better from it. If you are not up to speed on this condition it is basically a lesion (fragment) of bone/cartilage in the ankle which causes grinding or lack of motion in the ankle or any joint in the body for that matter.

To my recent problem. I beleive it is because of my favoring of my ankle that has led to my most recent problem. For some reason my right knee (opposite of the OCD ankle) is always getting sore. About a half a year ago (before my second ankle surgery) I was running and almost collapsed because of the pain I had encountered in my right knee lateraly. It seemed to be coming from the IT band (streatch of tissue which runs along the lateral side of the leg). This went away eventually and other problems began to develope. Most of the pain is now located on the medial portion of my knee, close to where the sartorius connects to it.

When I do a strech similar to doing the splits, I can feel my knee or knee cap, something of the matter, pull toward the medial (inside) of my leg. When I relax this streach I can feel it come back down almost like it were separated (this is what it feels like.

When I sit on the floor with my legs straddled outward my right leg will rotate inward and my right foot will almost touch the floor (My leg will rotate in an unnatural way such that my big toe will come very near touching the floor medialy.)

I have come to the terms that this is most likely caused by my right hip in some way. I have seen 3 orthopedics on this matter and they have all said nothing is wrong with me even through X-rays of both my right knee and right hip and an MRI of my right knee. My phisical therapist whom I am working with for my ankle at the moment from my previous surgery has also worked with me. Everyone seems to be stumped. I've tried physical therapy on it, streaching it out and strengthening my hip. So far no luck.

Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading through this long winded story.

Shane
apollosr71@hotmail.com
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mada0021[/list]
 kabeebabee - Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:54 pm

My 5 year old had hip surgery in feb. adn since then has pain in her knee during certain exercises. After a long day she has pain in her knee because of the surgery, i assume. The doctor doesnt say anything about it, just says everything looks fine and to come back every year for xrays. So, If ya hear anything about your knee pain can ya let me know, maybe i will have something more to go on the next time she goes to the orthapedic doc. I know there has to be something that can be done about this. Thanks.
 LJB - Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:02 pm

please can i ask you ladies a question?Do you /children limp?

|