News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: insanely painful big toe....

Amisha - Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:29 am

hi,

i have a very painful big toe. it's red and largely swollen just under the nail. i also have painful bunions on both feet. i know that bunions do cause the big toe to shift outwards and all that. but my question is, why does my big toe get red swollen and painful once in a while?

the pain, very unusually , starts at night, and then continues till early morning, as if something i do in the evening causes it. i have no idea what though! i went to the doctor when it first happened, and they said it looked a " bruised' .... but there aren't any fractures or anything. do the bunions have anything to do with it?

also, i work out, and after every few months, my big toenail falls off. it grows back without any problem though. but every once in a while i get this intense pain and redness and swelling on the toe.... i'd just like to know what it is, get to the bottom of it once and for all. i take a few painkillers when it hurts... they seem to help. its only once in a while that it hurts though, but when it does hurt, it hurts insanely... help!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:43 am

User avatar Hi Amisha,
Have you been evaluated for Gout? When production of uric acid by the liver is more than the body can excrete in the urine, the uric acid essentially crystallizes and deposits in the spaces of the joints (the big toe) This causes redness, inflammation/swelling, stiffness and pain to such an extent that anything even touching the toe or affected joint causes it is almost intolerable. Labwork to evaluate uric acid levels and joint aspiration to detect crystals will determine if this is actually the condition.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Amisha - Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:28 pm

hi, thanks for the answer. yes i have been tested for gout and don't have it. what i htink it is, after reading on the internet is, its something called paronychia. i'd love for someone to tell me what cures it!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here