Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Grandmother with acute pain in both knees -knee replacement?

janbaaz_nits - Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:12 am

Sir,

My grandmother is suffering with acute pain in both the knees. She finds it very difficult to move and walk. Well she is more than 70 yrs and is also overweight. Well the doctors here have suggested for the knee replacement operation. I wanna know whether is it advisable to go for the knee replacement surgery? Also, if something can help her provide temporary relief then do let me know? How helpful can be knee braces to her? Also is there any method to transfer the body weight from the knees? Waitin for ur reply...

Thanking you,

Nitin
 JenevaRN - Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Some of the key thing to consider when considering a joint replacement surgery for seniors are overall health, current mobility, and the possibility of successful rehab.
Knee replacement surgery has been done very successfully under a nerve block anesthesia -one Dr I worked with said he preferred this to general anesthesia. This does not mean that there are not big risks - blood clots can be fatal and are a common risk factor of joint replacement surgery. This brings me to the next consideration: current mobility. If your grandmother is not currently very mobile and has not been for some time either due to knee pain, weight issues or other issues, it may be beneficial to look into other treatments first. Finally, I will mention the aspect of rehab - following a joint surgery rehab is very important. The more effort put forth at rehab will lead to more use, and a quicker recovery. Conversely, if a patient is unmotivated or simply cannot tolerate the level of activity needed for rehab, the recovery will take much longer and the overall outcome of the surgery may be less than hoped for. Please consider these factors and how they can influence one another. Good luck to you and Grandma!

|