News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: 5th Metatarsal Break...NEED HELP!!

Nadinesky - Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:14 pm

I have fully recovered from a bread to my left foot in the 5th Metatarsal.
The Surgeons ended up doing the bone graft from my hip and putting a pin in my foot.

What I am hoping to find out is with the pain level now, a year later...Is this pin going to break with pressure from 12hours a day on my feet?? Should the pin be removed?? Can the pin break?? What is causeing the imense pain levels now?? Ice and painkillers numb it, but ... want a better solution. Is this normal with this type of break and surgery?? Surgery was a year ago??

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Cheers
Nadine
 footscreen - Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:46 pm

With some patients the pin can break. I would definitely go back to the surgeon and get an x-ray. This way it is possible to see how the pin is doing. This will let the surgeon know if the pin is under a lot of stress. At this point if you had periods with no pain and you are having pain now, that is not normal and not the normal course of surgery, so it should be looked at. If the pin has moved at all, it could be pressing on something that is causing this increase in pain.
 Nadinesky - Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:35 am

Thank you for the advice, the other thing that troubles me is when I put full weight on the foot, I notice a "knob" or bump (which looks like the head of the pin) on the side of my foot...it is very noticeable, but I can't really imagine that this is the pin??? What could it be...it does look alarming when you look at it.
The challenges with getting back to see the surgeon is that it takes 6 months for the referral, so hopefully my family doctor can help with that.

Any suggestions on the bump on the side of the foot when stepping down on it??

Thanks again
Cheers
Nadinesky
:lol:

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here