Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: ??? Elbow Arthroplasty???

dannydizzle - Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:56 pm

I need to know if I am able to recieve this surgery after 21 years. My arm was broken when I was a kid and it grew incorrectly. It has a bulge at the elbow and can only bend about 30 degrees on on either side.It has been getting numb lately if I keep it in a fixed position for a short period of time.It is getting more painful as I get older. I have pictures if neccessary. Please someone help!

dannyinhouston@yahoo.com
 Bandolph - Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:46 am

Well I am in the same boat as you. The numbness is probably caused by pressure on the nerve. Describe where you feel numb. Their are two main nerves and have different areas they control.When my arthritis flares up the ulna nerve causes numbness in the two small fingers. I am unsure what the other nerve feels like when it is irritated. I fractured my elbow at the age of 7 and now at 48 am looking at joint replacement. It is a serious step. I will never be able to lift more than 10 lbs with that arm again. Arthroplasty is an option if bone chips or scar tissue is causing the pain. Surgical reconstruction of the joint is also possible. I had the ulna bone cap removed about 10 years ago and it provided great pain relief.
 dannydizzle - Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:16 pm

Can you send me some pics to compare arms. Thanks for the response. Also, how much do you think it would cost for the surgery.
Thanks, Danny

|