News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Hip Replacement for 80 yr old mom

hippie - Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:26 pm

My mom has osteoarthritis in her hip. She is 80 years old. She walks with a cane and complains of pain and stiffness. Her orthopedic surgeon recommended a hip replacement. I'm not so sure that it is a good idea for someone her age. Her health is ok, but I'm afraid that the recovery period would be difficult for her. She lives alone, in a walk up apartment. She can get around with her cane slowly, but complains about the pain. I think she may end up worse undergoing surgery such as this. Any ideas?

Thanks.
 Tiger1440 - Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:00 pm

This would be a difficult surgery for someone of her age. However, once she has had the surgery she will most likely be able to walk around much better and with a great deal less pain. Normally after a surgery of this kind, someone of her age is sent to an assisted rehab facility until they are able to function on their own. When she finishes rehab there is a very good chance that she would walk better than she has walked in a long time, and without the pain. The risks that she would run are throwing a blood clot or gaining an infection at the surgical site. These risks are minimal but they can happen.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here