Question: Fractured finger, knuckle?

toban - Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:53 pm

I had surgery for Dequervains Tendonitis about two months ago. Everything progressing well. Unfortunately during this time I had to deal with a physically abusive boyfriend, now ex-boyfriend. He proceeded to hurt me physically a few times. The latest incident, he hit my arm with a hammer where I had surgery (two weeks ago). Now I have spasms, slight tingling, numbness in the arm where I had surgery. Also my fifth finger has been sore for weeks. If I try to make a fist, pinky will not bend completely, pulling sensation and pain. Also my knuckle area is quite sore. When trying to make a fist, knuckle is not as prominent. If I wiggle knuckle area with other finger, there is a slightly funny noise Also have alot of swelling, so not sure if that is why knuckle is not prominent. I know I should probably see a doctor, but feel quite humiliated by what happened to me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 am

User avatar Hi toban,
First let me say congratulations to you on making this man you "ex-boyfriend". Domestic violence regardless of whether the abuser is male or female is unacceptable. It is not your fault and I hope for your sake that he was reported to the authorities. Although you may have possibly suffered a fracture to your finger, I would first relate your symptoms to possible damage in the arm in which you had your surgical procedure. I urge you to seek medical attention for an evaluation. Humiliation should be the emotion that he is experiencing for such inappropriate behavior not an emotion from you since the abuse is NOT YOUR FAULT. I wish you well.
 toban - Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply. I did head to a clinic and had a xray. There is a small hairline/crack fracture. They put a metal type splint that is bendable and conformed to my pinky, wrapped with tape. Go back in a couple of weeks for followup. As for damage, the doctor said that from being hit with a hammer could have caused these symptoms. Prescribed me Nortriptyline? 1 x day to help with nerves. I go back to see surgeon in about 10 days so I will let him know. Surgeon is somewhat aware of the abuse, been supportive.
 toban - Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:56 pm

I had the splint taken off my finger about one week ago. Suppose to start physiotherapy within the next two weeks. I noticed my pinky finger will still overlap/rotate over my other finger and if I force my pinky finger down to the palm, it stays that way for a few second, pops back up. Also when holding hand straight up, pinky finger bends forward. When laying hand flat on table, pinky finger bends, does not lay flat on table. Finger does not feel that stiff.

I did see my GP and he is concerned about nerve damage/problem. That tingling sensation I posted about before has increased since the fracture. I have been experiencing tingling for 3 months. I did tell the surgeon vaguely about the tingling 3 weeks ago, but he just said it should go away. I did not press the issue, so he probably doesn't know the full scoop. My GP wants me to tell the surgeon at my next appt, 5 weeks down the road, that he is concerned about nerve damage. My 4th and 5th finger and palm area below these fingers have a tingling sensation (similar to when your foot falls asleep). Someone said this is the ulnar nerve? I hope I don't have nerve damage, but if I do, what can they do about it?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:07 am

User avatar Hi toban,
Conservative treatments for ulnar nerve compression are avoidance of elbow trauma, elbow pad to prevent re-injury, rest, and Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
When conservative treatment fails surgical intervention is the suggestion.
 toban - Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:02 am

Thanks! I hope I do not have nerve damage. In the worse case scenario, if I need surgery is it done by a plastic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery, orthopaedic surgeon or neurologist?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:49 am

User avatar Hi toban,
An orthopedic physician would be able to identify and treat such a condition.
 toban - Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks! The reason I am asking is because I see the plastic surgeon who does just hand surgery, not cosmetic surgery in 4 weeks. I didn't know if it came down to surgery, if he would do it.
 toban - Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:16 pm

Forgot to add...

Is there any reason why my pinky finger would stay in a bent position while my hand is resting on a table, arm of chair or walking around? I had the splint taken off more than a week ago. I understand fingers can be stiff after a fracture, been swishing around in warm water for exercise. Finger actually does not feel stiff. If I force it to go flat, whole hand tenses. Some tenderness. I had a hairline fracture, but waited a couple of weeks before having it checked.
 toban - Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:19 pm

Forgot to add again... :roll:

Plastic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery is the one who performed surgery for Dequervains tenonitis about three and half months ago. I go back to him in 4 weeks for a checkup and my GP wants me to tell him about the tingling sensations, bending of the finger.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:27 am

User avatar Hi toban,
You should alert your surgeon as your GP instructed. If there are any abnormalities he/she should be able to suggest a course of action to follow.
 devilofmufc - Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:49 am

hi i was tucking my sheets in on my bed about 4 weeks and slipped down landin on just my 2nd 3rd and 4th finger so just the thumb and little finger are left unhurt. when i fell it put alot of pressure on the 3 fingers and made a fairly loud 'popping' noise. best way i can describe it. now where the joints are there a lumps not quite in the middle but slightly to right on each of the fingers with a bit of bruising. it feels as though something haas been pushed up out of place but is not afrecting function too much. this is on the middle joints. i can straightren my finger fine and bend them. if i make a tight fister however it feels tight and a little bit of pain but not unbearable. do you have any ideas of what this can be.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 03, 2009 10:12 pm

This may be nothing more than a sprain to the middle joints of the middle three digits however with the type of trauma you suffered it would be prudent to xray the fingers.
If no fractures then the joints are likely sprained and heal with time, activity as tolerated, analgesia, and treatment of swelling with ice, compression, elevation and gentle motion.

|