Question: Question regarding my splint- fractured finger

toban - Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:31 pm

I have a fractured 5th finger ( lower part of finger towards hand)- hairline/crack fracture. The doctor put a metal type splint, soft padding on the inside. Splint is bendable, goes underneath and overtop of finge, extends approximately inch and half below knuckle.. Buddy taped to next finger and taped around bottom half of hand. Splint is holding finger straight. I go back in about 10 days for followup. Splint has been on for about 5 days. Doctor estimated about 3 weeks to heal. Anyways I have heard that sometimes your finger can go quite stiff after a fracture. Last night I had a bath and took the splint off, know how to put it back on. I noticed it felt quite stiff and let it soak in the warm water, but did not move it around. Is it normal to be this stiff? I am assuming from the splint keeping it straight, is the reason why?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:16 pm

User avatar Hi toban,
Stiffness is normal regarding a fracture. After it is completely healed, work your fingers in warm water and it will gradually resolve. This alleviates pain during exercise but remember not to begin doing so until after the fracture is healed. By the way I'm glad to hear that your surgeon is supportive and I sincerely hope all goes well for you.
 toban - Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks! I will soak my finger in warm water and exercise once healed. It's been hard to deal with what happened to me, but I will progress. Nice to have a surgeon who is supportive. Not aware of the fracture yet, even though this isn't in the area where I had surgery. One more question... when the doctor asked me to make a full fist, pinky finger would not bend all the way down and seemed to turn inward towards ring finger, rotation.? Even though I have a crack/hairline fracture, is it normal for your finger to rotate slightly inwards? I figured if I had a complete break or worse it would do this.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:13 am

User avatar Hi toban,
Abnormal rotation is commonly found with fractures depending on the area of the fracture.
 toban - Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:29 pm

Thanks. :) Fracture is lower half of 5th finger towards knuckle. Someone told me I may have a boxer fracture.? I never did ask the doctor, just told me that it is cracked.
 toban - Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:17 pm

Forgot to add...

I think why I waited to see medical help is because of what happened to me. Someone told me that many 5th finger fractures are called boxer fractures. Boxer fracture can be caused by punching someone or a wall? I know the doctor at the clinic asked if I punched a wall, told him no, and briefly said what my ex did. The assault happened so fast and I tried to fight back, most of it is a blur. the fully story is that he punched me and knocked me out briefly. Out for a short time, came to and he was hitting at my arm with hammer. I may have punched back in defense or the hammer hit my finger.. So part of me feels sort of stupid, if I did hit back with my left hand where I had surgery, but at the time I wasn't thinking that way. I was trying to prevent him from hurting me more. Maybe I am worried about being blamed for my injury. I see the surgeon in 8-9 days. I guess I will tell him the above.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:31 pm

User avatar Hi toban,
A boxer's fracture is classically located at the base of the small finger. You should explain what happened upon your return appointment. Please be assured that you are not the one whom is accountable for your injury.
 toban - Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks! I plan on telling my surgeon exactly what happened. The walk in clinic doctor was not too friendly, explained briefly the cause of y injury. Felt like he was indirectly blaming me.
 toban - Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:34 am

I did see my surgeon yesterday and he asked what happened to my finger, told him briefly. I wrote down all my symptoms and concerns. Asked me to come back next week and he will check my finger. If it is okay, can start physiotherapy. Surgeon is really nice and supportive. A med student? came into the room shortly after I told the surgeon what happened to my finger. I had some other concernsphysically and about some of the abuse on paper, and didn't really want a total stranger listenening in. I looked at him a couple of times, and I guess he sensed something, mumbled to surgeon and left the room. Normally I wouldn't care about someone else being there, but it is difficult to talk about the abuse/injuries with someone you don't know or trust.

|