Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Scoliosis

babygirl18 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:57 pm

hi everyone! I don't really have a question but i am an 18 year old female and i have had surgery to correct scoliosis. I've pretty much been through it all. I found out i had surgery in the second grade and ive had to wear the brace and all. I would love to help anyone who has questions about scoliosis. If anyone has any questions or concerns about scoliosis please feel free to respond back to me. Again i would love to help so please, any questions you have i will try to answer as best as possible. I hope i can help. :D
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:33 am

User avatar Dear babygirl18,

That is so nice of you, we appreciate your sincere interest and help. You have been helpful and your help is always needed.

Thank you again,
 babygirl18 - Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:37 pm

That is really nice of you to respond back to me with such nice comments. I'm glad I am of help. Unfortunately, I haven't had many responds back from anyone with questions about scoliosis. But, I'm sure eventually I will be able to help someone. Like I said, I've pretty much been through it all with scoliosis lol, so I would love to help anyone. Thank you so much for your reply. It's nice to know someone appreciates that I'm reaching out and trying to help others with scoliosis, like myself. Thanks again!
 fitnessfreak1 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:26 pm

This is extrememly late, but I am new to the site. I am an 18 year old female with scoliosis (thoracic curve is 62 degrees and lumbar curve is around 20-30 degrees) I was diagnosed around the age of 14 and have had very bad back pain for as long as i can remember, however, as I have had it for so long i have managed to live with it (however the curve is progressing and getting more painful each day). I do not take any pain relief as i don't want to have to rely on it. Instead i see an osteopath which really helps, but only for a few days, but it has reduced the progression of the curve, in short; through manipulation of the muscles pulling my spine downwards and twisting it, releasing the tension of these muscles which therefore helps.
HOWEVER, since seeing a surgeon a few months ago (for the 3rd time- consultations mri's, xrays etc) he has advised me to research into surgery to make a decision as to whether have the surgery or not. I am really scared of paralysis (risk is 1 in 1000 which i think is pretty high, albeit apparently that is low), and also the fact that i will be out of action for 3 months, bored, frustrated and in pain (and pretty strapped for cash as i won't be able to work lol!)
I was wondering if you have had any problems post surgery, such as pain, unsuccessful fusion, any really. The surgeon told me that there is no garuntee that after the surgery (after fully recovering 1+ year onwards) i will not have back pain...This worries me as I would only be having the surgery to relieve the serious pain i am in 24/7, not for the cosmetic side.
I am an active person (qualified fitness instructor), and I would just be so worried that my dream of working and managing a gym/fitness environment could be ruined if something goes wrong during surgery or that i won't be able to perform at the same level as i can now.
Anything, literally anything relating to this information would be GREATLY appreciated, I think it's wonderful that you're offering your experiences to help others.
Thankyou!

|