News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Fractured ball of foot/sessamoid?

kadessa_le - Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:01 pm

I recently injured my left heel two days ago and since then, I've been hobbling about using the ball of my foot to take the pressure off the heel. Now, my heel is all right, but the ball of my foot is swollen and quite painful to walk on. The pain isn't quite on the bone, but at the joint beneath the ball'ish bone beneath my large toe (don't know the name for it, maybe sesamoid?). Could this possibly be a stress fracture or just a terribly sore joint? I've never broken or fractured a bone and am unsure how it feels.

I've been keeping ice on it, taking ibuprophen, and am unsure if I should see a doctor.

Thank you in advance.
 footscreen - Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:50 pm

If you are still having pain, I would definitely see a doctor. There are sesamoid bones under the first metatarsal head (just behind the big toe). By trying to walk on the ball of the foot, you can develop a stress fracture. X-rays do lag behind 10-14 days from injury, but there are tapings and paddings that can be done in the meantime to eleviate the stress to that area.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here