News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: neck and shoulders

burning neck - Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:18 pm

I am a 45 yr. female tierd of the burning in my neck along with numbnes and tingling down my neck both shoulders and arms in the last week my arms feel like they weigh a million pounds. I am also numb all the way down my back. I have degernerative disc diease and splondyosis.MRI results show loss of disc space at c4 and c5 ,anterior spuring ,disc protrussion.C3-C4 disc spur complex with underlying protruded disc.C4-C5bilateral disc spur complexes Encroachment into neuroforamina. I also have an anual tear in my L4-L5 .Hernated disc in L5-s1.I also have Osto Arthritis.I have not been back to the dr. since my findings of my MRIs.In Constant pain and scared .I have An ulcer so I cant take antiinflamatories.The Dr. gave me pain med and muscle relaxiors it dosent help.Idont know what to do my husband was killed 6 months ago and I have a 5 yr. old and a 20yr old with a new grandbabby 2 wks. old. Live with me.I have to work.I would like to know if i need surgury how long is recup. time. I have been wearing a collor for 2 months .I feel like I might be doing more damage to my self because of being scared.If surgury how long is recover time. I need to know the pros and cons. Thank you so much for ypur time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:24 pm

User avatar Hello,

These symptoms are related to the degenerative disc lesions in the region of the cervical vertebrae. An associated Muscle spasm alone can cause or aggravate the pain due to disc lesions.

These conditions can be treated in the majority of cases with medical and conservative treatment (non surgical).
Non surgical treatment include, physical therapy, certain exercises, weight reduction, epidural steroid injections, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, and decreased daily activities.

Surgery for disc herniation is only considered if symptoms are not controlled after at least one month (6 weeks) of medical and conservative treatment, or in very complicated cases with serious symptoms.

A spinal physician is the one able to determine if surgery is the best treatment for the patient after evaluating the patient personal, social, occupational and disease condition.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here