Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: re-herniated disc - surgery or not?

dan0011 - Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:13 pm

I am 29 years old and had a laminotomy/micro-discectomy 2 years ago that I thought was a complete success. My back has felt like I was 16 years old for the past 2 years then all of a sudden the disc reherniated for no reason. 2 docs (neurosurgeon and ortho) recommended I go in for another surgery because the chances of a re-occuring disc herniation going away without surgery are minimal due to the nerve not having much room to move away from the disc due to the scar tissue surrounding it from my 1st surgery. A couple of chiropractors said walking and adjustments may help break up the scar tissue and give it a few months before going into surgery.
Its been 2 months since onset of pain and my symptoms have gotten a little better but still feel pain in leg and lower back.

Question: Is another laminectomy/micro-discectomy (recommended) the best choice considering what I described above? I am worried that I will have 2 surgeries under my belt before age 30 although the docs said percentage of reoccurence the 3rd time is less than 5%, but I'v also read that the more surgeries you have the greater the risk of future problems. Can anyone provide me some insight?

Thanks so much.
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:40 am

User avatar Hi!

Do your present symptoms affect your activities of daily living? Do you feel weakness of your lower limbs? Any bowel/bladder problems?

If your symptoms don't regress, but progress, I feel you can consider another surgery.

But it would be best to follow the neurosurgeon's advice on this.

Warm regards,

Bill

|