Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: What is causing my back and neck pain?

Andrea359 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:03 pm

Hello i am 15 years old, female, For about a year i have been suffering from back and neck pain. I do quite alot of strenuous stuff through the day because i don't go to school so i have a job instead which requires lots of heavy lifting. Sometimes when i lay on my back i can't get back up again because my back hurts so much and sometimes i get really bad sharp pains in my back. Any suggestion on what this could be?

Thanx
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:14 pm

User avatar Dear Andrea359,
In most of the cases with back pain, strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement. Muscle spasm alone can cause the back pain which can be an unidentified cause.
In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial. If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, you should visit your doctor for better evaluation and for exclusion of other causes, like: Herniated disk, Sciatica, Spinal stenosis etc. these are conditions that need specific therapy.
If the pain is intense, especially when you lay down, if it causes weakness or numbness of the legs, if it is associated with GI or bladder problems, or there is fever or unexplained weight loss, you also have to consult your physician immediately

|