News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: osteoporosis

chrisy - Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:19 am

dear doctor,
my mothers is only 43 but she suffers from osteoporosis (she has the bones of 60+ old). recently (about one month ago) she felt pain in her chest. at first it was just parts, but now her ribcage is completely swollen. the results from her x-rays are normal, but she is in constant pain. i understand fosamax can cause chest pains, but the swelling started before she took the pills. she is also taking hormones (she had a complete histerectomy 2 years ago). please help us. thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:34 am

User avatar Dear Chrisy,

Did your mom have any kind of trauma? What does her doctor think that this is due to? Does your mom have any skin rashes? Does she have any back pain?

If the x-rays are normal and you are suspecting a fissure fracture (fracture that is hair thin) not sometimes detected by x-rays, your mother can ask her doctor if he/she thinks that it is appropriate to do a bone scan to detect those subtle fractures if there are any.

Another thing is to make sure to check a spine x-ray to make sure that the pain is not due to spine fractures. Have your mother ever had herpes of the skin (shingles)?

These are some thoughts that you can ask your mom's doctor about. However, i have not examined your mother and these are only suggestions of course.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 chrisy - Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:50 pm

thanks for responding. my mother did not have a fracture and she has no skin rashes. i thought it has something to do with her liver (she right side protrude more than her left) or maybe it's costochondritis, but she going to see a bone doc.
thanks again, chrisy

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here