News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Finger will not heal- doctor needed?

ros027 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:13 pm

Hi,

I accidentally slammed my pinky finger in a door a few weeks ago- it slipped between the hinges of a swinging door and slammed on the bone between my middle and bottom knuckes. It was very swollen and bruised for a few days afterwards, but because it was not at askew or incredibly painful to move, I did not seek medical help. I iced it and tried to keep from putting pressure on it. After a few days, the swelling went down a bit and the bruising subsided.

However about two weeks later, it began to hurt again and swelled up all over again. Bruising appeared and then disappeared in the course of three days.

Now I have a hard mass on my bone, it appears that the swelling has not gone away, but rather massed into some sort of scar tissue (?). It is a hard bump that lays on my bone and will not go down. I can move my finger without pain, though if I strain it it definately still hurts. Bruising seems to appear and disappear almost daily.

I am concerned about this bump- could it be tat I am growing some sort of scar tissue or that it is seriously damaged and getting worse? I am content to let it go away on its own, but if it is getting worse I should certainly seek help.

Please advise, thank you so much for your help!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:55 am

User avatar Hi ros027,
If a fracture is present and it is consistently displaced or reinjured it will continue to cause problems. An xray would determine if a fracture is present and it can be properly attended to. I would suggest that you have the area examined by your physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here