Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Cracking in spine

truckee - Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:11 pm

I am a 32 year old female and for the past 12+ months have been having pain and cracking in my spine. I can move my shoulder blades or lean my head forward and feel several cracks in the middle of my spine. The entire middle area of my back aches and I occasionally get stabbing pains in my chest area. Do you know what could be causing the cracking in the spine and can spine problems also cause pains in your chest?

Thanks in advance.
 drgreghaitz - Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:30 am

User avatar Most commonly cracking in the spine is called cavitations and or crepitus. This in and of itslef is harmless, but may indicate a functional change in the spine. As a doctor of chiropractic, I see this type of condition often in my practice. As the joints of the spine become stiff and dysfunctional, they start to randomly "release" causing these noises that you here. Consider increasing your physical activity including some back stretches. Chiropractic care may also be beneficial for increasing the functionality of these mid back joints.
 truckee - Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:37 am

Thank you for the info. Went for a T-spine xray today and will take your advice on seeking chiropractic care.

|