News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: degenerative knee condition ( surgery or other treatment)

chewy - Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:35 pm

I am 30 yrs old and a very active person. I tore my ACLl 5 years ago playing rugby and now my knee is becomeing swollen and I feel discomfort about a few times weekly. I realize that my condition is becoming scondary arthritus resulting from my ACl repair in the past. The MRI I took confirmed the degenerative condition. I'm not sure if the pain is resulting from torn cartlidge or not. However, I do hear cracking in that knee which I know is not good. My left knee is absolutely perfect but its hard to play sports leisurely with only one strong knee.

My question is could orthoscopic surgery relieve some of the swelling or discomfort/pain? The doctor I went to said it could help but he is not sure. Also, if surgery is not the answer what other treatment could address my problem such as new cartlidge or drugs? Thanks for your help.
 jeanniern - Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:42 pm

Hi Chewy.You did not mention if you saw an orthepedic surgeon. if you have not, that would be my first recommendation. You did mention arthritis, have you tried anti-inflammatory medication and/or physical therapy? If you have a torn cartilage, arthroscopic surgery may be of benefit. If it turns out that you need knee replacement surgery, make sure and ask about laparoscopic procedures which are less invasive and require a shorter recovery period. There is also a relatively new procedure called unicondylar knee surgery for those who are candidates (this is a unilateral or one-sided knee surgery). :lol:

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here