Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back, sacrum and abdominal pain

rafikicon - Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:25 pm

I had a hysterectomy 17 months ago to remove a cantalope size fibroid tumor.. I am now a 50 yrs old menopausal woman. After about 4 months, I started having abdominal pains under my left rib that waved across my abdomen and into my back. I was given meds for acid reflux with no relief. Went to a gastronoligist.. had a CAT scan, colonoscopy, endoscopy, high powered xrays and sent home with a diagnosis of IBS and an small ulcer at entrance to small intenstines. I read up on IBS and do not have diahrea and constipation. Now I am having trouble getting out of bed with excrusiating back pain near left lower part of the sacrum along with the same old other pains that come and go. I have lumps in lower back area close to spine and have read on line that they most likely non cancerous fatty tumors. I asked the doctor about those and they continue to dismiss them as any cause of my pain but I believe they have some relation to all this.
I do not know what to do next or what type of doctor to see. HELP! : :(
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:40 pm

User avatar Dear rafikicon,

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases it is secondary to spinal or bone problems.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.

Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial. If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, otherwise the pain is more likely to be due to other causes, like: Herniated disk, but your doctor has excluded this and your investigations are negative.

Have you been checked for osteoporosis which is common at our age.The best screening test is dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA).

You have also to exclude Renal causes.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Hope you find this information useful.
 pip - Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 am

Please look into the possibility of the pain in your back coming from adhesions, particularly since you have recently had a hysterectomy. I'm not a doctor but I had a hysterectomy 19 years ago and only now have problems. For three years I've been taking opiates for severe debilitating pain and have seen neurologists, neurosurgeons etc etc , none of whom could find a cause for the pain. Only now, after having endoscopies, barium enemas etc , have I been diagnosed with severe adhesions and all my back pain is coming from the bowekl which is tethered to my bladder, to itself and to the spinal ligaments. The pain is unbearable.
Adhesions start to form within the first 3 weeks after an operation.

|