News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: double vision and throat clearing

worried mom - Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:42 am

Hello,

My 7 year old son developed double vision (one eye and only when looking to the right). It was detected at an eye exam, and wasn't there the previous year. He is off to have a full pediatric work up in about a month. I also noticed he tends to cough once or clear his throat after swallowing food. It seems to be worse in the evenings and is not due to trying to swallow large amounts of food. I noticed it a few months ago, but did not mention it to the eye doctor. I will be sure to mention at the next appointment. Could these conditions be related? Are there any disorders related to weakness of the eye and throat muscles? Also does anyone know what kind of tests they would be doing to find the underlying cause of double vision?

Thanks for any insight!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:17 am

Well, they could be related.
If we try to relate these symptoms, then several neurological conditions which affect the centres of the nerves supplying the muscles of the eyes and those of swallowing could be the cause. In that case, your child may need a full neurological evaluation, but I would prefer to wait and see what the results of the ophthamology tests are.
Tests to be done, would try to locate where the problem lies, whether it's in the muscle responsible for eye movement, whether it's in the nerves supplying these muscles or whether the problem lies within the eye itself or vision causing the eye to deviate.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here