News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 12 month old lymphocytosis and blood tests query

sammiejuk - Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:38 am

Hi
I was wondering if someone could give me some insight into my sons blood test results.
My son has had lymphadenopathy *sp? for the past 6 months which is unilateral. Started with one large node now consists of several which are gradually getting larger in size and number. At time of noticing first lymph node son was fit and well.

Previous history is dialted renal kidney at birth - result after mag 3 renal scan was sluggish system and lower quadrant scarring of left kidney.

My son is now "apparantly" having one viral infection after another although the only symptoms seem to be raised temperatures and rashes that come and go. This has been present for the last couple of months.

I am currently waiting to see the pediatric consultant at the hospital but they have given me a waiting time of two months.

My sons blood tests results are as follows:

Basophil count 1.9 10*9/L
Haematocrit 0.362 1/1
Target cells ++
occasional stomatocytes
occasional smear cells
lymphocyte count 6.69 10*9/L

all the other values are within normal range.

My question is that do these results show anything that i need to push the hospital for an earlier appointment or is it safe to wait till my appointment in late January?

Many thanks
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:38 am

The blood picture results are very non-specific and are suggestive of a viral infection.
More importantly, can you please tell us the size of these lymph nodes, and whether they are soft, hard or tender?
Also, please describe the rash more.
 sammiejuk - Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi,
I haven't replied earlier because I had the appointment at the hospital with the pediatrician. He seemed very unconcerned ad didn't even feel the lymph nodes!!! He just made me feel like a over concerned mum and said they would go on their own in time and discharged him.

Anyhow the follow up now is my son is now 20 months old so has now had these enlarged nodes for 14 months and my doctor has reffered me back to the pediatrician.

The lumps are quite hard and rubbery, there is one large one which is visibal when he turns his head - it is on the left side of his neck right in the middle and about 2.5cm long and 1.5 high. There are other nodes surrounding it one which is about half the size of the biggest one and the rest are just shotty.

My son has recurrent high tempatures of +40 with no other signs of illness and he seems and looks tired a lot of the time.

Is there anything I should ask the pediatrician this time, should I push for any tests?

Thanks
Sammie

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here